Friday, June 17, 2011

How School Corupted My Son

Odd title right? But so true! I realized last night that school has change Kyler so much.

I remember having a conversation with another Mom at church when Kyler was getting into school and she said my life would never be the same.

It was so true.

We are a family that doesn't have cable TV so we don't watch the "typical" TV shows, or see the "typical" movies that other kids did. In fact, another memory I have of Kyler is when we went to a family reunion. My Aunt had bought the kids toys and Kylers' was a robot with a gun. Kyler had NEVER seen a gun before. He had no idea what it was for, how to use it or what it did. Thank Goodness. We told him it was a "tickling stick"!

Now Kyler knows what they are, what they are used for and how to "cover it up" from mom. "It's not a real gun mom! It's a water gun!"

Kyler also knows who Spider man, Superman, Iron man, and many other TV shows are. Our lives used to be Whinny the Pooh, Mickey Mouse Club House and Handy Manny. Now there are so many other shows I want to protect my kids from. I'm not saying any of the TV shows I talked about are bad but they aren't things we wanted our children exposed to yet.

For now we are dealing with things as they come. Things that come home and change or challenge our children's thoughts about topics or beliefs. It's hard sometimes to remember that things that they learn about, or hear about will be good for them. It's good for them to question and to learn more. It's sometimes just makes a job for parents more challenging.

1 comment:

  1. Just wait till they get to biology class and they brain wash them with evolution.

    ReplyDelete