Monday, April 19, 2010

Q's ST date! Day #1

Q and I went to his first ST appointment today. We had to speed there super fast. Our timing was for 9:15am and we got there at 9:12am! Crappy hey? Oh well we got there and it worked out.

Our ST came and said hi and we followed her to a new room (he normally goes right but this time we went left so he was a bit confused). Q went into his normal routine of going in and taking off his coat and hat and putting them on the chair then he started to play with some toys in a basket. He got all excited and showed me a pig. His ST said no and that he had to put the toys back. Q was kinda scared. Normally he could play with toys while the ST and I went over some stuff. This time we went over a few things but Q wasn't allowed to play with toys.

Eventually the ST told him to sit on the carpet and he did while he waited (there was a little carpet/mat for him to sit on).

They started and I watched their session. First thing they did was take off a little Velcro thing that had strips of Velcro on it so that they could put on and take off different things. So they started a few things in a row:

Hi! (a little square with a person waving and the word HI written on it)
Bubbles (a little square with bubbles on it)
Book (a little square with a photo of some books on it)
Play (a little square with a photo of some toys on it)
Goodbye (a little square with a person waving and the words GOOD BYE on it)

They started the session with taking off the velcro part and going over the first 2 squares. She said since they had already said hi they could remove the "Hi" square. Q took it off and put it in the little pouch. She had him say "OFF" a few times.

They checked out the list and "Bubbles" were next. They pulled out a bubble blower and they played. Q LOVED this part. She would "BLOW" and then he would "POP" the bubbles. They continued saying "BLOW" and "POP" for a while. Q got it right away. "POP" was our hard part but he got it eventually.

They took the list out and took "Bubbles" "OFF" and then read the next square to be "BOOK". Q got all excited while she read him the book "Don't Rock the Boat". It was about some animals all trying to get a ride in the boat to a friends birthday but every time someone got in the main animal would say "Don't rock the boat". The ST had Q help her with the book. He would say "Don't Rock the boat" every time. He labeled the animals from the page and worked on saying the words "Don't Rock The Boat" and "Water" "Wet" and a few others.

Once the book was done the ST pulled out a toy boat and a bunch of animals that were the same as the ones in the book. Again they worked on the animals names and the "In The Boat" saying. This lead to our 'homework'. We have a photo of a boat and some animals. We are going to work on putting them "in the boat".

They moved onto another game. The ST had a bag with some fruit in it and Q had to ask her to "Open The Bag" and then put his hand inside (no peeking - he would cover his eyes with his other hand... SOOO cute) Once he got out the fruit he would say what the fruit was (strawberries, banana, pineapple, grapes, pear, apples, tomatoes) and then he would say "Cut them up" and he would use the plastic knife and cut the fruit in half (they had velcro to stick together) and then put them "In The Bowl". He did ok until it got to one of the fruits (I think the pineapple) and he just couldn't get the word. She drilled him over and over and over and eventually he started to get really upset. This is about where I got upset that he was being pushed so hard. He had done great up until then and it was already 40 minutes in so I could understand. I kinda snuck in a break there asking how would *I* do this at home? After all he won't go for drills like that at home. She said that yes she had pushed too hard but she needs to keep drilling. At home I wouldn't be able to do this many drills but something to this effect would help.

At the end of the session Q cleaned up all the fruit and I asked my questions then the ST went to photo copy some stuff so we waited in the hall. I tried asking Q what they talked about and he said a "Bo" I tried to get him to say "BoaT" but he wouldn't do it for me but as SOON as the ST came back he would say it for her.

Once we were done there Q and I rushed off to Costco then home to get K from school (after stopping at Tim's to get Q a donut for doing so well).



I had a bit of a breakdown (as my Mom can vouch for) and I was just so upset that Q would do things for the ST and not me. I was just so emotional that he got pushed hard and resisted, that I wasn't getting the same response and what the heck did I do wrong that he has to have ST in the first place. It's so frustrating.

Anyway Q seemed to enjoy the ST and was happy he had 'homework' like his big brother! We work on it every day. I'm trying to find some sticky stuff I can put the animals on the page and they don't slide away but I want to be able to remove them as well.

Anyway we go back on Monday at 9:30am for our next session!

2 comments:

  1. It's TOTALLY normal for Q to want to say the words for the ST and not for you. Xavier is the same way. He'll work SO hard when we're there, but won't really do much with me at home (including homework!). It's not anything to worry about!!! Eventually he'll start saying the words at home too. It just takes them time to figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dana. I guess I'm just frustrated because I feel like all the "cutie" talk at home is gone. No Kitty Cats they are just Cats. No more piggies just pigs. It kinda sucks.

    ReplyDelete