Sunday, May 30, 2010

Little White Lies

Have you ever thought about all the little white lies we tell to our kids? friends? family?

I told one this morning and it got me thinking... how many times do I say little white lies?

A few examples of white lies I tell my kids:

"No hunny, you won't see Auntie Jaime and Mr. Mike, they are in the states at a conference learning about Jesus. They don't want anyone upstairs so you have to go to the downstairs Sunday school today" Translation - Jaime is at a conference but who knows about Mike, but today is Sunday so we go downstairs to Sunday school, not upstairs for kids klub like on Wednesdays

"If you don't brush your teeth tonight your teeth will all fall out, and the tooth fairy doesn't come for yucky teeth" Translation - who cares about the last few nights we forgot to brush our teeth but you aren't listening to me so do it now!

"No there are no Popsicles left so you can't have any today." Translation - I'm going to eat the other dilly bar (ice cream dipped in chocolate) and I don't want you to have one so there are no 'Popsicles' but there are other cold things.

"I think you should wear shorts today, it's hot out" Translation - I don't want to deal with you wearing pants and complaining you are too hot or too wet, plus I didn't do laundry and your favourite pair of pants are dirty and I really don't want to deal with the whining.

"If you splash any more water over the tub you will fall when you get out, crack your head open and not be able to go to school" Translation - I don't need to mop the floor every time you have a bath so keep the water in the tub!

You get the idea....

Now I have to wonder..... how many "little white lies" do the kids tell me?

Please tell me I'm not alone in this parenting technique?

No comments:

Post a Comment