Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Taking a break and reflecting

I've been working on my Labour Doula Exam all day... in fact for the last month it seems like all day all the time. I'm really getting into it. I have 4 essay questions and 2 questions I can not find the answers too! hopefully I can use some of my resources and get the answers soon!

On that note I was sitting on my comfy lazy boy chair from IKEA letting my mind wander and I was thinking somewhere along my train of thought to my grocery shopping trip I did this past weekend.

I was walking up and down the aisles knowing just what I needed and generally just getting those things. I ran into a mom and daughter. In fact I would hazard a guess after bumping into them a few times that it was a Mom and her Daughter who just got married and was back from their honeymoon. If I had to guess more I would say that they just moved into a new house as well.

The first time I ran into them in the store I just assumed it was a daughter home from college. She was talking about having so much fun with her friends and how much she truly enjoyed seeing everyone and how great it was to see her family as well. I began to think she had just graduated.

The next time I crossed paths with them she was talking about how her *husband* loved Crisper chips. They had to do research to find them where they were and now knew what grocery stores sold them in Toronto.

In the next aisle I say the Mom and Daughter looking at soups. Her mom was explaining that it is always good to have a "Cream of ______" in case you want to change something up or just have a good soup. The daughter then walked past the soups and saw the fixings for Chili and got all excited. She said she "had" to make chili. Her mom started to ask when and the daughter responded with sometime in the future. That's when her mom realized she was a bit overexcited and suggested they get the must haves this trip then figure out a meal plan and come back for specific things.

I had to laugh because the next row was baking goods and you could see she was in heaven. She wanted one of everything. Then she started to walk away (with a lot of baking supplies) and her mom called her back to look at something and she spun the cart and walked towards her mom. I don't think she has used a shopping cart before. It was funny to have a few of us wait for her to move the cart over. Her mom made a comment like she was a "kid in a candy store". I told her it is fun to shop sometimes, other times it's a chore. She laughed and said she loved it right now!

We met up again in the freezer section and I realized that this man I had seen around us wasn't just following the same path, he was the dad. I would guess he was the money behind this outing and didn't seem to take a huge interest. However he did have something to say about his daughter wanting 4 tubs of ice cream to use in her new bowls. Again another giggle from me.

It got me thinking about all the cool things I remember buying when Arnold and I got our first homes. Each house was totally different and in a totally different situation.

Our first house together in Edmonton was a place I had lived in for a year before we got married with friends. There wasn't too much we needed or wanted or had to change but we still enjoyed the house. Going shopping for the first time it seemed like so much and having so many things in the cart and it was crazy! I loved shopping as a newlywed (as I'm sure the girl I saw in the store did as well), changing my name to Mrs. Arnold Visser on my points card, and just knowing I was buying for my new house with my new husband.

Our first shopping trip for our house in Toronto was similar. Except that I had 2 kids, and went shopping with my dad! He took me shopping to buy cleaning supplies and the basics of food for a week so I could get working on things at home and not have to worry about taking everyone out the next day.

When we moved here we just moved all our food over. It was nice since I had preplanned our meals for the week and didn't have to worry about it so much. I really enjoy cooking so that was easy. The most shopping we did for this house was new furniture! I love my new couch and chairs from IKEA.

So as I sit here and remember that shopping trip I can't help but feel all warm inside. What a wonderful feeling for that new bride in the grocery store. I wish them the best and that they may have many more 'firsts' in their relationship.

Now back to my exam

No comments:

Post a Comment