Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New Meal #2

I'm still working on that new meal a week thing. This week I think we have a few (so it might count for next week's meal).

Last nights meal was Creamed Chicken over Beans, Mushroom Rice and Loaf cake with whipping cream and berries.

I found these ones in a book I bough *years* ago. It's called 44 meals under $10.00. I wanted to check and see if these meals were made for under 10.00 and generally they can be!

Creamed Chicken over Beans:

1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of pepper
1.5 cups of water
1/4 cup of milk
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 package (16 oz) of frozen cut green beans, cooked and drained
Paprika (optional)

1 - In a sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add the water, milk, ad bouillon. Brig to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
2 - Add the chicken and heat through. Serve over beans. Sprinkle with paprika if desired

Makes 4 servings

*** I did just what it said. I used 3 chicken breasts and cooked and cubed before starting. I also used one of our bagged beans/carrots we got from Costco. I didn't have chicken bouillon granules so I used one of my packets from Ramen noodles (we use the noodles but not the packets). I didn't get the full flavour as I would have if using the granules so next time I'll have to buy some. Otherwise it was really really good!

~~~~~

Mushroom Rice

1 can (10.5oz) beef broth
3/4 cup of uncooked long grain rice
1 jar(4.5oz) slice mushrooms, drained
1/4 cup of butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion salt

1 - In a 2 qt. microwave-safe dish, combine all ingredients. Cover; microwave on high for 5 minutes. Microwave on 50% power for 15 minutes.
2 - Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir before serving.

Makes 4 servings

Editor's Note - This recipe was tested in an 850-watt microwave.

*****I did it differently. We HATE mushrooms in this house so I didn't put those in. I didn't have long grain rice (only 5 minute rice), or onion salt, and I didn't use the microwave. I put the beef broth along with even amount of 5-min rice and put in a pot along with butter ad garlic powder. Heated to a boil then put on low. This was good, but WAYYYYYYYYYY too much butter. I would totally make it again but half the butter.


Our dessert was bought at Price choppers. It's really good.

Here's some photos:


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment