Monday, June 7, 2010

Q's ST - Week #7

Can you believe it? I'm almost done these updates! We are on our last week. Q and I went today and realized that Thursday will be our last ST! I'm surprised.

Today seemed to be more for me than for Q but it was a good session anyway. I was encouraged, and did so, to register Q for a program that is in Toronto. There is a year wait for it so signing up now and needing the program in a year is good, not signing up now and waiting and needing the program in a year would suck! It's a place that works on speech and stuttering only. Q qualifies right now we are hoping it will not be needed but we will see. For now he is signed up.

This week we had some problems with our homework (saying "I WanT a Candy") but when we got there we noticed some of it was working ok but other times not at all. When Q says "want" alone he does great! As soon as he adds it into a whole sentence we get to him saying "wan". Too bad. But she said keep it up.

Our session was great with the ST. Q and the ST started with a "container" filled with different 'toys'. The goal was to get Q to use his words. something I think we might start at our house. Q had to pull "out" a toy and say what he had eg "I got an elephant" or "I got a computer". It was perfect. Our homework for Thursday is to make a little 'container' like this for our house. She wants to see 3 items, maybe more. I'm excited to make one.

Once they had gone through all the things in the container they moved onto a balloon. Q was loving it this time. I think more so because it couldn't get stuck on anything, and the ST was careful to not blow it up too big. They worked on their words again "blow", "pump", "big", "snowflakes", "balloon" and "let go".

They read a book about Dora and Boots trying to find out whose footprints are in the sand. They ask a bunch of people if they are their footprints. Q had to say "It's not his/hers" and "Are they your footprints" and "Feet". We are getting there. But he has NO idea who Dora is (I'm actually proud of this) and so was a bit confused by the book. But he got the general idea of it, thank goodness.

Once the book was over the ST and I talked about finding someone for Kyler and the program we learned about at K's school (Kelly program). We also talked about health care and what peoples care plans cover. Hopefully, if Mr. Brown feels we need to we can find someone to help out K.

That was it! It was a short session (1/2 hour) but a good one. Q just didn't seem to handle too much.

Thursday is our last ST session and we get a 2 month break (so the main ST should call us in August and we will set up an assessment date for Q again). I'm excited for it. It's also K's zoo day at school so I think Q and I might sneak up and visit K and Arnold and their group at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment