Monday, June 14, 2010

Strawberry Jam!!

To go along with today's "theme" of strawberries I thought I'd let you see the photos of us making them.

Sunday after church we got everyone into red shirts and we started to make some good jam! Q was kinda interested but that faded soon.



We started with Arnold getting a shot of us getting everything ready. As you can see Q and K were both here for that.

Photobucket


Then I got the camera and made my 'what we used' shots. I can't figure out which one I like better so you get 2.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We soon lost Q to the "computer couch" after he saw Daddy and Papa there (my mom, dad, aunt and cousin came down to visit and all but my cousin stayed here. There was a scrapbooking class the next day so they were off at that and Dad stayed here with us!). Q got his computer and off he went:

Photobucket


My aunt gave me some tips on how to squish the berries. We got out some plates and forks and went at it. Here's what they look like before squished:

Photobucket

After squished:

Photobucket

K squishing the berries

Photobucket

This was just the beginning of the tops. I wish we had gotten a shot of all of them but it was so much we had to empty the container 3 times during this hole thing!

Photobucket

We got our photographer back (papa) and he took some shots for us!

Photobucket

Photobucket

(see I was there)

Photobucket

We had a squishing war. We would see if you could get the other person wet with berry juice. Later you will see a close up shot and I have strawberry juice on my arm!


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Q finally joined in and squished a few berries

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We Did It!! The first batch called for 3 and 3/4 cups of crushed berries!

Photobucket

Time to add the lemon juice:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Next the sugar (almost 8 cups)

Photobucket

Photobucket

The berries and stir!

Photobucket

This is an important step!! Send the kids to bed!!

Now work slowly heating the jam:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Dirty table:

Photobucket

We had a bit of an overflow so we changed pots the next time but as always the 'hired help' wasn't in the house at the time so I managed to survive myself!!

Photobucket

Before skimming:

Photobucket

Finished product:

Round 1:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



In total we got 19 jars. 4 were sent home to my parents house before Papa left. And then the rest are here. 1 didn't seal (darn) so we started that today. I've eaten WAYYY too much bread and jam today.

It was alot of fun. Next on our 'family list' is Apples in September!!

No comments:

Post a Comment