Friday, November 20, 2009

St. Nicholas and Nicknames

I'm not sure if any of you have seen the new Veggie Tales movie about St. Nicholas but it's really cute. Basically it's the story of how St. Nicholas came about... how there was a little boy (pepper in this case) named Nicholas, and how his parents helped everyone and believed in God. One day they died and Nicky was so upset he left Grease and travelled around the 'world' at that point. Finally after stopping in Bethlehem he realized the 'true meaning of Christmas'. He went back to Grease and helped others the best he could. Through this whole thing there is a 'servant' of sorts who lives with him and his family and takes care of him (and his house once he left), and eventually went out helping Nicky deliver gifts. He would call Nicky nicknames.

This got me thinking about nicknames I call my kids. None of the nicknames in the Veggie Tale movie were bad names, and I like to thing that mine aren't either.

I call my boys letters. Each boy has no real short form we are 100% fond of but we make some work. Kyler becomes Ky or K; Quinton becomes Quin or Q. I have always, or at least for as long as I cam remember, called people hunny, sweety, sweetheart, and sometimes darling.

I also call my kids q-t-pie, doodle, doodlebug, hunny, sweety, sweetheart. I'm sure there are more. I asked Kyler what I call him and he responded with K and Kyler and then after thinking for a bit he said "Mommy, when I'm bad you call me Kyler VISSER!". So true.

No comments:

Post a Comment