Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Freecycle Christmas Giving

Have you ever heard of Freecycle? It's something that Arnold and I like. Basically before you throw things out you list them on Freecycle in your area. Arnolds on it for Toronto and we have been blessed with some things from Freecycle (bikes, tools, desks, ect) and we sometimes put things out for freecycle (if it's something we have found after the CD comes though first).

This time we put up some things from our cleaning up on Sunday and Monday. On Monday afternoon Arnold put this listing on Freecycle:



OFFER: Christmas Tree, light stings, a few decorations

Moving for Jan 1st, done with the Christmas tree (sad I know), have a few non-led strings of lights, most working. Also some decorations that just don't fit with the rest of the ones we have.

porch pick-up not a problem.


We got this back from someone:

Hi there,

Is our tree live or artificial? seeking a live one if possible, so wanted to ask.
Thanks and much luck with your move!
Karen


Arnold:

yes, live tree, you are welcome to it,
let me know when you want to come by and I'll make sure the lights and decorations are out for you too


Karen:

oh my goodness!
I am absolutely weak with happiness.
I must explain how I travel though, although I believe we are very close to each other.
I am at XXXXXX and XXXXXXXXX, at XXX (a street about 2 blocks from our house).
While I am not in a wheel chair, I do experience a couple of disabilities, traveling only with wheel trans. It means my waiting for a return driver, perhaps 45 minutes. I do not mind waiting on your porch that long for a tree having a live one means so much to me, but want to be sure you are comfortable with that. hoping they will not argue about my carrying it, but am willing to try. with notice I can set a ride for late tomorrow afternoon?
Thanks,
Karen


Arnold:

Well I am in the process of moving, so I have my van empty... if you are
comfortable with the arrangement, I can swing by your house with the tree
and decorations and leave them on your curb, this would save you a round
trip.

would that suit you well? if so, I will drop them by your place some time
this evening.


Karen:

Oh mercy!
That would be beyond kind if you are sure?
Glad we are indeed so close, and i am beyond thankful.
will give you my number, and if you want let me know when you are on the way. I can at least say think you for this.
Karen


Arnold and I were getting such a giggle out of this! I put all of the stuff in the add in the car as Arnold put the christmas tree on the top. We drove, seriously, 2 blocks and dropped it off to this woman. Arnold unloaded everything and put it by the door. He tried knocking and ringing the bell a few times and we got nothing. So we headed out.

After about 1 and a half hours of cleaning at the new house we came home to this message:

FreecycleTO received: Live christmas tree!
and. i. am. appreciative!
The most wonderful beautiful magical marvelous Christmas tree in the history of Christmas trees is in my house!
I really do not have enough words, thank you seems far too simple. I know this may seem like a lot of writing, but you have no idea what it personally means for me to have a live tree where ever I call home. A person finished their celebrating in time to share this with me, giving this tree a few more weeks of life and love.
We truly never know how the things we save from the landfill can transform the lives of those who receive them. No matter how many no shows or people deciding at the last minute not to take something, in the end why we are here prevails I believe.
May I manage to give away enough things some day to help someone find half the joy this tree is giving me, and I haven't even touched the ornaments yet!
Late too with my thanks for Holiday Mugs to share with others too, my computer is not behaving so my writing is a mess.

happy happy whatever you celebrate everyone!!!
Karen



We were so happy to give such a wonderful sounding woman a little cheer this year. We got another e'mail from Karen:

Hi!!!
its the most wonderful tree, and I love the decorations too.

Thanks more than you can possibly know for passing these treasures on to me!

Happy everything,

Karen


And even a phone call thanking us for everything.

What a wonderful night of giving away our Christmas tree.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment