Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Wow Wow WOW! Food #8 and 9

Seriously WOW! Alot of work but really really really incredible! Next time we make it we will be making it outside on the BBQ

Pepper-rubbed steak with grilled salsa
Prep 15 minutes
Grill 10 minutes
Serves 4

4 tsp of coarsely ground black peppercorns
1/2 tsp of dry mustard
1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
2 TBSP of olive oil
4 rib eye or strip loin steaks (1 in. thick)

Grilled salsa:
6 vine ripened tomatoes, 3 plum and 3 yellow
2 TBSP of olive oil
1/3 cup of very finely chopped red onion
4tsp of red wine vinegar
2 TBSP of finely chopped parsley or coriander
1 tsp of finely chopped fresh oregano or rosemary or 1/4tsp dried oregano or rosemary leaves
1/2 tsp of each salt and ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 of sugar



1 - Coarsely grind peppercorns in a coffee grinder or a small powerful grinder or purchase them ground. In a small bowl, stir peppercorns with mustard, cayenne and oil. Brush or rub all over steaks. Grill right away, or leave at room temp for up to 1 hour or loosely cover and refrigerate up to 1 day.

2 - Oil grill and preheat barbecue to medium - high. Grill steaks with lid closed, turning once, 10 to 15 minutes. For medium-rare, meat will be slightly springy to the touch. For well done meat will be firm.

3 - Meanwhile prepare salsa. Halve tomatoes crosswise. Hold over sink and squeeze out seeds and juice. Brush all over with 1 TBSP oil. Place cut-side down on grill. Barbecue, turning once until charred but not mushy (3 to 5 minutes per side). Peel off skins only if you want. Chop tomatoes. Stir with remaining oil, onion, 1TBSP vinegar, parsley, seasoning and sugar. Taste. Add more vinegar, if needed. Spoon on steaks.

Nutrients per serving:
33.6 g protein,
28.5g fat
7.1 g carbohydrates
3.8 mg iron
36 mg calcium
420 calories

Here's my photos:

Photobucket

Photobucket


Now I made some changes. I didn't realize it was a BBQ meal until I had started to make it. I had to do some looking online.... Here's what we ended up doing:

1 - Combined rub items and brushed on steaks. Placed in flat container on counter for 1 hour before supper. Seared them with a skillet on med-high heat. About 1 to 3 minutes per side. While doing this turned oven onto 350F and sprayed the top rack. Placed meat on top rack once seared and left for 15 minutes, flipped for another 15 minutes. While cooking meat added in my favourite baby potatoes (put 2 TBSP of veggie oil 1 TBSP of balsamic oil and salt and pepper coat and put on cookie sheet - generally put under broiler for a few moments but instead we did it in the oven) and let them cook for the time the meat was in.

2 - see above

3 - Prepared salsa a bit different. I put it on the skillet in the same one I did the meat on. I was a bit slow because I didn't have all the herbs ready to go so my tomatoes got very mushy. I was able to use (and I only had 4 plum ones) about 1/3 of each tomato so I grabbed a 'normal' tomato, de-juiced and seeded it and used that as well. It turned out REALLY well. I also put in the whole amount of red wine vinegar instead of a bit at a time. I also forgot the sugar... but again INCREDIBLE!

This was such a good meal. I *loved* it! I will totally do it again in the summer. Arnold and I figured we would do it with asparagus!


New Food #9 was a fun thing. With our C&C group over we did a dessert:

Choose-a-Flavour Caramel Apples
**Jonathan apples have a nice size and flavour for this recipe. You can dip the caramel apples into other crunchy ingredients, such as crushed cookies, chopped peanuts, or assorted candies.

Prep: 25 minutes
Stand: 30 minutes

10 small apples
10 wooden sticks
1 cup of coarsely chopped toasted pecans, crushed pretzels, candy-coated milk chocolate pieces, and/or crunchy granola (optional;)
21 oz (about 75) vanilla caramels, unwrapped
3 TBSP water
6 drops of cinnamon oil, 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces, or 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 - Wash and dry apples. Remove stems. Insert 1 wooden stick into the stem end of each apple. Place apples on a buttered backing sheet. If desired, place chopped pecans, pretzels, candy-coated chocolate pieces, and/or granola in separate shallow dishes; set aside

2 - In a heavy medium saucepan, heat and stir the caramels and the water over medium-low heat just until caramels are melted. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in cinnamon oil.

3 - Working quickly, dip each apple into hot caramel mixture (If necessary, add hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to caramel mixture to achieve dipping consistency) To remove excess caramel, scrape off bottom of apple with a metal spatula. If desired, for extra crunch, dip bottoms of apples into pecans, pretzels, chocolate pieces, or granola. Set apples on prepared baking sheet and let stand 30 minutes or until firm. Makes 10 servings.

Per serving:
384 cal
11g fat (6g of sat fat)
0 mg chol
156 mg sodium
67 g carbo
7 g fiber
2 g pro



I did a bit different (as normal). We only had 4 apples, and 5 people comes so I cut the apples in half, and no wooden sticks here, instead... a bunch of dessert forks.

I made the caramel like suggested (I didn't have cinnamon oil or pb measured out so I added 1/2 tsp of vanilla). But after ours solidified I realized it should have been a bit thinner. It was VERY Chewy!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I also had oreo crushed bits and granola bits.

Photobucket
Dipping


In the end they looked like this:

Photobucket


Yummy!!!! They turned our really well.

I did also pat the bottoms of the apples on a paper towel because if they were too wet they wouldn't stick.

Enjoy trying out your own!



BTW I would *love* tips on how to grow, cut, make, herbs! I'm at a loss! Any help would be wonderful! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment