Friday, February 11, 2011

New Food Friday #15 ~ Spanish Macaroni and Beef

Tuesday we tired a new recipe. I actually really enjoyed this, and was surprised to see that my family members did as well!

Spanish Macaroni and Beef

1 TBSP of vegetable oil
1 pound of ground beef
1/2 cup of pimento-stuffed green olives
2 garlic cloves, minced
28oz can of plum tomato, including juice
Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
1.5 cup of uncooked pasta, such as elbow macaroni

**Tip/Time Saver - Cut the tomatoes in the can - When using canned tomatoes, don't bother spreading them out on the cutting board to chop. Use a table knife and cut in a criss cross pattern while tomatoes are still in the can.**

1 - Heat oil in a large wide saucepan set over medium heat. Crumble in beef. With a fork, break up meat, stirring often, until no pink remains, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain off excess fat.

2 - Meanwhile, slice olives. Add garlic to meat. Saute for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and juice, olives, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Then stir in pasta. Cover, reduce heat to medium - low and simmer, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender, about 12 minutes. Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan and crusty bread.

Miranda's Mix Ups: No olives for us, since we aren't really an "olive family" and I used about 2 cups of pasta instead of 1.5cups which resulted in me adding about 2 cups of water as well.

Family Reviews:

Q - loved it!
K - ate almost as much as Arnold!
Arnold - actually loved it (considering it's "macaroni" which he hates)
Miranda - good. I'm SO glad it was all in one pan.


Photobucket

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I would skip the vegetable oil. You don't really need it to brown hamburger. Otherwise, sounds like a good meal! Wade is a tomato hating mood...but we might try it. Oh another change, I'd probably use diced tomatoes so I don't have to worry about cutting them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. once I realized what the tomatoes were for I'd do the same thing :) I hope you try it.

    ReplyDelete