Friday, February 25, 2011

New Food Friday #21 ~ Spiced Meatball Stew

Thursday night we had a stew. I made so many changed to it but it still tasted great. Very filling. I hope you try it sometime!

Spiced Meatball Stew

1 - 16oz package frozen prepared Italian-style meatballs
3 cups of green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces, or frozen cut green beans
2 cups of peeled baby carrots
1 - 14.5oz can of beef broth
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
1 piece (1 inch) stick of cinnamon
2 - 14.5oz cans of stewed tomatoes, undrained

1 - In a Dutch oven, combine meatballs, green beans, carrots, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, allspice, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in undrained tomatoes. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmering for 5 minutes or more until vegetables are tender. Remove Cinnamon stick.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Prepare as directed. Freeze stew in an airtight freezer container. To reheat, place frozen stew in a large saucepan. Heat, covered, over medium heat about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to break apart. Makes 10 cups

Miranda's Mix Ups: Oh where do I start! First of all I didn't use a 14.5oz can of beef broth.. I used a 900ml container! I also only used 1 can of stewed tomatoes not 2. I put in 2 cinnamon sticks. Then once everything was in I thought it was "missing something" So I took it upon myself to do something about it. I added 450g's of while/long grain rice. It looked great! 2 hours later... I ran out of liquid. So another 4 cups of water went in and it looked better. I'll fully say it looked more like a casserole than a stew but it was WONDERFUL!

Family Reviews:
Q - still feeling down so he didn't eat much
K - had 2nds, and I think 3rds!
Arnold - said it was ok.
Miranda - really good, really filling and REALLY yummy!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment