Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Camp Heslop 2010 Day #2

Here's the e'mail we got last night:

Breakfast was peanut butter sandwiches with sprinkles, no crusts. We put the crusts into the birdfeeder and the boys were laughing like crazy when the squirrel sat in the feeder eating their crusts. We watched an episode of Magic School Bus during breakfast. During the late afternoon I was putting laundry in, while singing High-dee High-dee High, Low-dee, Low-dee low. Jack passed by the room and said “Nana your singing Miss Frizzles song.”.



Once again we woke up to a lime green pool. Uncle Jack grabbed a sample and went in to work and tested it this morning. The verdict is that there is no chlorine in the water. He came home and fixed the problem. It is nice to have a resident pool man. He says we will be all fixed by late afternoon. (It is now late afternoon and the pool is back to it’s crystal clear self again!) So we put on our swim gear and headed out to jump in the hose, swim in the little pool and play in the sand. It is really hot out so just before noon the campers asked to go inside to play. They changed their clothes and headed to the basement to make more train tracks.



We had lunch and then upstairs for a nap time. They are dragging a bit today; I figure it is from the 4 days of camping at the reunion and another late night last evening. I put on the timer and told them they had to rest for 90 minutes. They were sound asleep in no time. I had hardly finished folding the camping laundry when I checked on them and they were out. You know that you are doing camping laundry when you find a bug that has been washed and dried, in the lint trap.



Amber was the first to wake up and she wanted to draw pictures and write a story. We got the art supplies together and set up a station on the dining room table. She is writing a story about a king, princess and prince and only needs a little bit of help with the spelling. I think it is interesting how she draws her people. It is a definite vertical drawing starting with the crown, head, hair, face, body, arms, legs and shoes. Quinton was the next to come down stairs and Amber was very patient helping him to learn how to hold the pencil correctly.



I still am amazed at the independence in which Kyler and Amber are demonstrating. Aunt Sandra was over today and she says that is because they have had a year of school. So when Quinton came upstairs to see me after his parachute man pinched him I was happy to comfort him and suggest we do some baking together. We made a banana cake. He tells me that his mom and he usually leave the banana skins in the cake and it tastes great. I have my doubts but, this is the same family who has a son (Kyler) who ate peanut butter and mustard on crackers with his lunch today and told us it was delicious.



A tea party was held in the sun room just before supper. It started with a Tupperware cup and progressed to Kyler helping me dig out the china children’s tea set from the cabinet. He carried the box with two hands like he had a treasure in the box. Quinton’s cake was served, as was cold water and what was to be the best treat of the day a bowl of ice. When Kyler brought the glass bowl of ice out to the sun room, I heard Amber exclaim. “This is just like a tea party for princesses and princes; glass bowls and ice.” I figure it must be the poor economy if princesses and princes are having ice cubes for tea these days.



After supper we went swimming and then bath time and hair washing for Amber. The swimming was fun as we got every blow up toy we could find in all the boxes and filled the pool. Quinton even joined us in the pool this evening floating around in an inflatable ring. We ended our swim time in the little pool that now had very, very warm water in it thanks to the hot day and solar power. The boys were thrilled with their hot pool. They started grossing Amber and I out telling us they made the pool warm by peeing in it. We had a great snack (read 3 pieces) of Quinton’s banana cake. This cake is all gone and we never even put on icing.



So another late night and my little campers are having their fifteen minutes of talking time before it is time to go to sleep.



Funny things:



After shooing Quinton out of the bathroom twice, Amber tells me at home during bath time that no little boys came in to her bathroom when she has a bath. I asked her if there were little boys at her house and she said yes there was duster.



Quinton went to get me my goggles this evening and when he got back to the pool he started to thank me for the new goggles. He was so sweet that I didn’t have the heart to tell him they were for me. Then he gave me his shark goggles I really couldn’t say anything so I just adjusted the racing goggles to fit his head and I wore his shark goggles. He told me I looked cute.



Kyler was a hoot this afternoon during the tea party. He was serving everyone their tea and ice. Later when I checked in on them, he had them all pretending they were dogs having a tea party and they were on hands and knees lapping the water out of their tea cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment