Friday, August 6, 2010

Camp Heslop 2010 Day #4

And Finally Caught up:

Ahoy Mates



Yes today was Pirate day at Camp Heslop . We began the morning with breakfast and then right outside to set up our painting station for the campers pirate t-shirts. They all wanted to use the spray paint bottles that the adults had used the weekend before to make their Family Reunion shirts. I got up early this morning and found a pattern to use and cut it out of the acetate. Everyone had a turn and got to pick their own colours. Getting the spray to go in the right direction was a problem and having strong enough fingers to push down on the pumps was another. As a result I had paint up my arms, but those t-shirts were amazing.



While the shirts were drying we built a ship out of the swing set, they wanted a sail so we used an old sheet. I had got swords and pirate hats from the dollar store so we were well equipped. Soon we were back into our bathing suits and into the pool. Quinton actually joined us in the pool, this is the first time he as wanted to come in. Quinton marched around the outside of the pool for most of our swim time with his Pirate hate on backwards, his sword shoved into the top of his bathing suit and out one leg and his mirrored goggles on, This was quite the sight and really had me thinking about what his idea of a pirate was. He would give me a sword and we would have duels with me in the pool and him on deck. He loved my silly dying scenes.



Amber has exciting news that she wanted me to tell everyone, she can get her whole head under the water now. She jumps off our pool stool and goes completely underwater and pops back up. Way to go Amber – oh and if you are privileged to see this performance clapping is mandatory from the audience. Kyler discovered the joy of snorkelling. He had to try about three pairs of goggles before he found one that worked with the snorkel. We did a bit of fixing to get the snorkel to fit him properly and there was some instructions needed for how to bite the inside of the mouth piece and put the mouth guard between your teeth and lips. When he finally got the idea it was amazing to see how fast he adjusted to this. Ok so now for the bad news. I had to be the underwater entertainment. I have never spent so much time under the water doing hand stands, summersaults, tea parties, swim bys and spins. I am completely waterlogged. That was just for one pool session, we had three today. I have water in my ear – ugg.



The big excitement for the day was the pirate Playmobil toys that I got. We had so much fun putting stuff together and the kids loved it. Kyler was smitten with the cannon, Quinton with the treasure chests and money and Amber with the pirates and all their accessories. Kyler announced that he wanted the Playmobil castle, this after he found out that there were other things to look at in the box then the instruction sheets. Nap time and even I crashed for the mandatory 90 minute quiet time.



We were right back into the pool after nap time. I have never been so thankful for the water being so warm. At first I thought I might not have to go in as opps I left my suit in my bedroom and the campers were already in the pool. I ac tually got a little bit of gardening done around the pool area and empties the wading pool and refilled it. Then Kyler got out and went and got my suit. I should have known that my fate was sealed; they were determined to continue with a game called flipping Nana off the air mattress. You know the one that Miranda and Arnold gave us before we moved into this house. I told them that the air mattress was older then they were and they needed to treat it with respect. Yea, right. Before we knew it Jack was home from work and we had to get out of the pool. Jack cut the grass for us so that we could get ready for the Bouncy House that is to come on Friday morning.



The campers watched the beginning of Peter Pan while I made dinner. After supper they watched another half of the movie and then had a third swim session. With a quick change into pj’s and then the last half of the movie along with a peanut butter and sprinkle sandwich our evening began to gear down. Did I say I was waterlogged?



It didn’t take much to get the campers to sleep tonight, but Papa mentioned at almost 9 o’clock that we still do not have that 8 bedtime routine down yet. I guess that is a pipe dream.



Funny Things,



Jack – “Hey Quinton is that a sword you have in your pants or are you happy to see me?” ( I had been thinking of that joke all day long.)



This one was so funny. You have to understand I have been taking time with the older two telling them about needing to be more discrete when getting in and out of their bathing suits. As you will read it isn’t having much of an impact yet. I was picking up around the pool all the time talking to the campers in the sunroom about getting out of their swimming suits, wrap up in a towel and get upstairs to get their pj’s on. I wasn’t looking to see how well these instructions were being followed, but I knew I was loosing the battle when I walked into the sunroom to find Kyler and Amber naked sword fighting. So maybe modesty genes kick in when you are 6 years old cause at 5 they don’t seem to have any.



On the same topic, Quinton was getting ready to get into his bathing suit this morning when he had to go pee. I said ok and figured he was heading to the bathroom. It wasn’t until I turned around from tying up Amber’s suit that I saw a naked little boy outside peeing on the grass. It gets better, the wind picked up and he was getting a wet foot, so up went the foot and now he is standing on one foot the other one pointing to the sky and he is bent over. To add to this he came back into the sunroom and asked me, who was giving him a LOOK. “Nana, I your babydoll?” You know how he gives you that nose crinkled smile and cocks his head to one side. You have no defences against that you know.





Amber “ Nana, Nana look at me. Nana, Nana look at me. Nana, Nana look at me. Nana, Nana look at me.” Times that by 100 and I finally asked if I needed to look at everything she did. She said yes, I asked why. She said “:Cause Kyler won’t Nana,”



No comments:

Post a Comment