Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Food #40 ~ Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken

WAY back (being Jan 18th) I wrote:

This past weekend was a lot of fun in grocery shopping and budgeting and most of all, trying out something new! My goal for this year was to try a new recipe every week. I figure we would try about 40 to 50 new ones this year. I'm so excited about it.


Guess what?!?! I'm now at 40 new foods! I'm so happy about this one! I will keep making new ones but I'm happy I finally got one of my goals figured out, and DONE!

so for New Food #40:

Oven-Fried Picnic Chicken

2/3 cup of buttermilk (if you don't have buttermilk use normal milk and about 1 Tablespoon of vinegar, give it a few minutes and then you have buttermilk!)
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 2.5lbs)
1 cup of Cornflakes (I didn't have normal ones I just had frosted so it added some 'sweet' to the meal)
1 cup of Original Bisquick mix
2 packages (1oz each) of ranch dressing mix (this took a while to find, check in the packaged gravies and such, near the spices)
Cooking spray.

1 - Heat oven to 400F. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Pour buttermilk into shallow glass or plastic bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat. Let stand for about 5 minutes.

2 - Meanwhile, place cereal in a 2-quarts resealable plastic food-storage bag. Crush with rolling pin (or have 3 year old dance on the bag). Add Bisquick mix and dressing mix (dry) to cereal. Remove chicken from buttermilk; discard buttermilk. Add chicken to cereal mixture. Seal bag; shake to coat.

3 - Place chicken on cookie sheet. Spray chicken with cooking spray. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until juice of chicken is no longer pink when centres of thickest pieces are cut.


*****It did NOT take the 45 minutes. In fact it took less than 30 minutes, closer to 20 minutes. I took normal skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cut them in half. It makes VERY thin pieces, maybe that's why it cooked so fast?

Either way it was SOOO yummy. And Quinton loved to tell people he helped!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment