Saturday, August 21, 2010

New Food #37 ~ Penne with Sausage & Peas

I'm expanding! I'm starting to check out my different flyer's, magazines and whatever else I can find to get new meals.

This one was found in the Family Circle - July 2010.

****This one is also tried for the amount of fresh tomatoes it needed. Our plants in the back yard are giving SO many tomatoes I needed something to put them in. Next one is making my own sauce!****

Penne With Sausages & Peas

Makes - 6 servings
Prep - 10 minutes
Cook - 12 minutes

4 cups of whole-wheat penne pasta, uncooked (about 12 oz)
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 package (12 ox) fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage, slice on the diagonal
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 pound of tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of low-sodium, 99% fat-free chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Cheese


1 - Heat a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add pasta and cook as per package directions, 12 minutes. Drain.

2 - Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook 3 minutes, turning a few times, until browned. Scoop out sausage with a slotted spoon onto a plate.

3 - Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the garlic. Cook 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and salt and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, peas and browned sausage. Heat through.

4 - Place cooked pasta in a large bowl. Add sausage mixture and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan. Toss to combine. Top with remaining tablespoon Parmesan and serve warm.



***As always... I don't do just what it says. I didn't have enough "whole-wheat penne pasta" so I used egg noodles.
I couldn't find "fully cooked roasted garlic chicken sausage" so instead I used roasted chicken sausage.
I didn't have any frozen peas (to the delight of my husband) so I used mixed veggies
I forgot to add the Parmesan cheese. I'm sure it tastes just as good, if not a bit better with the cheese but I forgot!


Ok so general overall feeling... REALLY good. Great for something different.


Picture!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment