Friday, January 21, 2011

New Food Friday #5 ~ "Hamburger Goulash"

Tuesday night I made this. It's one of Arnold's favourite meals to have/make so I thought I would try something a bit different and see what he thinks. This was made with the freezer meal cookbook which means that it was meant to split in half... but lets be honest there is NO WAY you can split this in half!

Hamburger Goulash

2.5 pounds of ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups of water
3/4 cups of ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoons of ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of cold water
Mashed Potatoes or Hot cooked noodles

1 - In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, sugar, salt, mustard and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.

2 - In a small bowl, combine the flour and cold water until smooth; stir into the meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over potatoes or noodles; or cool and freezer for up to 3 months

TO USE FROZEN GOULASH: Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat through.


Miranda Mix Ups - I used less ground beef. We have tubes that are about 1 pound or so (I think) and I used that. I also did potatoes instead of the noodles.

Family Reviews:
Q - didn't like it
K - ate all and asked for more!
Arnold - wasn't home but when he ate the leftovers the next day he said he was "in-love".... hum
Miranda - really good! The best part for me was making sure I didn't overload with potatoes so I made a "bowl" with them (but with no bottom) and put the goulash inside. It was perfect!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment